Monday, September 13, 2004

So, what does exactly mean?

Finally, finally, I have a computer again. Not exactly what I asked for but close enough to get some work done.

I have gotten it back 3 times in the last 2 weeks. Each time I took it to get worked on I left the same instructions:
"I want it to look EXACTLY like it did when I bought it, but with XP-Pro installed."

This was important because its a Sony Vaio. It has a dynamite Sony suite of software and is partitioned (Not sure if its physically or virtually) so that it has a "D" drive. This drive is the default for much of the video features of the unit.

The first time I got it back it had XP-pro installed. No Sony software. Not their fault, my restore DVD that I paid to have created was wrong. It was supposed to be a DVD and a CD. The CD being the bootable that gets the user to the recover wizard. Still, it took 3 days to determine this. So, what exactly does "exactly" mean?

I order and receive restore disks from Sony.

The second time I got it back it was resotred to factory but was running on XP-Home. They couldn't get the upgrade to XP-Pro to work. Huh, maybe that's why I took them a knowledge base article from Sony's website describing how to accomplish this. Maybe, since the first sentence was "XP-Pro MUST have SP1 installed in order for software recovery to work" I suggested they take a look at the XP-Pro that was on there from pick-up #1, make sure it had SP1 installed and procede from that point with the recovery. Of course, I'm no technician and they are. So, They chose to re-format, restore to factory then upgrade. The XP-pro disk didn't have SP1 installed - can't do it that way. Since they didn't read the instructions I left, I got it back factory restored. Another 2 days. Yet another definition of "exactly but with XP-Pro".

The third time I got it back it took 2 days. I mention this because when I took it in, I said, this is what I need done (see instruction above), this is how to do it (point out knowledge base instructions) and I need it back today. I was assured - repeatedly and rather smugly I might add - that this would not be a problem. For this, I agreed to pay a premium. Well, it took 2 days because day one the instructions didn't get read, XP-Pro didn't get checked for SP1, SP1 didn't get installed, the software recovery failed. Day two, they read the instructions, actually follwed the instructions, ran into one hitch but figured it out and restored the software. I set it up at home, it has no "D" drive ("oh, did you want that?" they asked) and some of the software didn't restore because..... You guessed it, there's no "D" drive.

So, what exactly does EXACTLY mean? I didn't realize the word was so ambiguous.

No comments: