Monday, September 13, 2004

IIS - is it installed or not??

I need IIS installed to properly run visualStudio.net. I need SP-Pro to have IIS available as an option. I need visualStudio.net for the class I'm taking. Its 9P Sat night.

I finally get my XP_pro system up and running. Remembering the instructions that warn if IIS is not installed when visualStudio.net get installed, you will have to reinstall visualStudio.net after you install IIS.

So, I go to add/remove Windows components and look down the list. Some items are checked, some are not. Are the checked items already installed? Don't know. If I want to install something, do I uncheck everthing but the component I want installed? The directions don't say. The list includes Internet Explorer and it is checked; Accessories and Utilies is also checked and also installed. I know it is installed so I deduce that the checked items must be installed. IIS is checked.

I proceed with the install of visualStudio.net. It took 2 hours just for the 2 program CD, another hour for the library and other miscellanous items. After visualStudio.net I install Norton personal firewall and antivirus. This is as far as I got. Its now 2:15AM. I go to bed.

Sunday night, I sit down to start the first chapter requiring IIS. It won't launch. Maybe the shortcut's bad. I launch from the program location - nothing. Now, I know very little about the intricacies of XP-pro. And considering the last 2 weeks I'm gun shy and afraid of being without my system again. So, I don't want to assume anything at this point. I google "IIS install" and got my answer from this site:

http://www.webwizguide.com/asp/tutorials/installing_iis_winXP_pro.asp

IIS is NOT installed and I have to start again. oh, man the last two weeks have been a month long.




No comments: