Wednesday, September 08, 2004

A possible good resource

I spent much of today loading my company website:
http://www.phoenixfaucets.com if anyone's interested

and checking all the links to make sure nothing was broken or displaying poorly. There are several tweaks on my list but this will have to do for now.

I have been bothered by the fact that links from thumbnails to larger photos open in a full page. So, I went looking for the way to create a popup window with size constraints. I found what looks to be a very promising site. Pretty detailed information, easy to follow, cover a lot of topics:

http://www.irt.org/index.htm

the site includes various combinations articles, faq's code and tutorials on a litany of topics from ASP and Cold fusion to VBScript and XML, and a lot - alphabetically speaking - in between.

So, I found a great tutorial on javascript popup windows. Unfortunately, I'm bullheaded and couldn't manage to follow directions for abut 2 hours. Here's how the code and accompanying HTML look:
script:
function newWindow(){ window.open("newContent", "hiRes", "height=350,width=300") }
end script
html from the FAQ page:

Aerator

My problem was that I couldn't (and still can't) understand why nothing goes in the newWindow() and the variables are written outside of them. I kept trying to put the variables inside the parenthesis to no avail. I finally just wrote it exactly like the example (the problem was the example didn't include an anchor tag & that was throwing my way off). And it works just fine on the 2 pages I used it (the FAQ's and Spec/Instruction pages). Well, I usually try very hard to understand a solution when I've learned one. But, when it becomes obvious that understanding isn't going to happen I remember my credo - "Whatever works".

No comments: