Monday, August 30, 2004

the thread I was hanging by just broke

Saturday night I sit down to file my call report and do homework. My computer wakes up with a "critical update" message. Like the MS-Droid I have become, I download and install said updates. When my computer restarts I have no taskbar and consequently, no way to get into my harddrive becuse Microsoft in its infinate wisdom and arrogance regarding the stability of their product, has taken the computer shortcut off the dssktop.

I get around this little dilemma by using a shortcut menu to open a word document and save as to get the list of optional locations to save. From there I create a shortcut to C: drive on my desktop. As the evening progressed and I like my computer became more unstable the litanty of problems become bizarre. I can only uninstall one of the updates, all of which were SP2 updates (unbenounst to me at the time). Norton won't start. The program tells me I need to re-install. I can't uninstall so I can't re-install. Launching search to find norton files launches nothing. I can't move any files anywhere so I can't back up.... the list goes on & on.

My techie friends at Best Buy tell me the will probably have to reformat. They will try their best to back things up but can't promise anything. Once again I'm without my computer thanks to Microsoft.

The final thread broke this morning when I intended to work on the website that I've been developing for the company I work for. Along with all of my academic work, the entire website is on my flash drive. Fortunately, only last week, I backed the website up onto my workstation. I say fortunately because it seems the my thumb drive is corrupted. I can see all the files but none will open. I get a "path not found" error, then "please insert disk into drive F:. Everything is trashed. All my work gone. I'm sure the FAT table is corrupted and there's little hope that anything can be done.

"Too bad, you should have had it backed up" you might say. Well, if I had IT WOULD HAVE BEEN ON MY BRAND NEW COMPUTER!!!! And now we know why Cindy's brain is SPAM

No comments: