Saturday, October 16, 2004

mid term

So, I imagine I had the most trouble with the mid term. I couldn't get the web control validations to work. I don't know why, they seem pretty straight forward. Actually, I got 1 or two but couldn't get another couple. And, I couldn't get the validation summary to display the way I wanted. Of course, by the time I got to the validations (which I saved for last) I was the only one left in lab and quickly running out of time.

Anyway, the validate a number should have been an easy one. But every time I set the data type to integer, or any other number declaration, I got an error. I finally just left it a string and used a range validator from 49 to 57. Strings are read one character at a time as ASCII and 49-57 are numbers 0-9 in ASCII code. It was sloppy, and totally the wrong way, but it worked. Sure hope I can get a better grip on validation going forward. I can't write the code for it at all in VB.net or Javascript. And I know its in the top five of things I have to know to be able to function in the .NET world.

1 comment:

Mike said...

you'll have more practice with those. become familiar with the controls. it seemed that you had controls that validated conflicting things - keeping it from ever being able to pass...